Archive for the 'quilting' Category

Red Delicious Quilt

It’s been a few months (really?) since I updated here.  Time has flown, as it always does, with day-to-day events filling the hours.  I have managed to complete the applique for my version of the the Red Delicious BOM designed by Esther Aliu from Australia.  When I started the project in November 2008, I was looking for an applique project to energize me to become more active in quilting and applique in particular.  I truly enjoyed making this.  I made some changes to her design here and there.  I began to lag behind in the monthly blocks and finally realized that I didn’t want another UFO, so this fall I pushed forward to finish the big center cherry basket block.  Once that was done, I changed her swirls to lattice, and substituted roses in the upper left.  Yea, the hard part is done, just borders and quilting left.  Here’s a peek of the top hanging in the dining room which will become it’s home once I finish it. 

I’m starting my 2010 project.  It’s a portrait of Sarah and Emma.  I used Photoshop to posterize the snapshot and find the edges of the various shapes and colors.  Kinko’s was able to enlarge it to 300%.  What you see is a velium line drawing of the underlying print.  It’s taken a couple of days off and on to get it to this stage.  The lips were the most difficult to interpret, and I may have to make adjustments when it comes to stitching those areas.  I would like to have this finished by the end of summer — only time will tell. 

In January (wait — it’s still January!) I went to the Road to California Show in Ontario with my BFF Loretta.  I was very happy to see Cherrywood fabrics there.  Cherrywood does gradations of hand-dyes including skin tones.  I helped with their bottom line and bought one of everything I thought might work on this project.

Irish Chain Quilt

This is a  for our Guild’s Quilt Bank.  These quilts are given to non-profit organizations for fund-raising.  I didn’t sew the top, just did the quilting.  My frame is only 8 ft, and I had to repin several times to get the borders done since I could only do half at a time.   This has been on the frame for months — not that I procrastinate or anything!!








I’m very glad it’s done.  It’s been a major road block just because I didn’t make the effort to get it done.  Now I can move on and get some other things finished!!   When I look down the road, the remainder of the year is going to slip by.  Balloon Fiesta, Steve’s surgery, Emma’s birthday and then the holidays.  And somewhere in there I want to do a road trip or two.  Time to make a list of “want to dos” and start getting them done!  (I must have roads on my mind.)